Expectations of Pharmacist Transformation Champion
With direction, guidance and training from the MPTCQ Coordinating Center, the Pharmacist Transformation Champion will be expected to carry out the following clinical activities:
Disease Management Services
- Pharmacists focus on diabetes, hypertension and hyperlipidemia
- Patients are proactively identified as potential candidates for pharmacist services (e.g. A1c > 8% or BP > 140/90) through disease registries available at the practices or reviewing provider clinic schedule.
- Upon provider approval, patients are scheduled for 30-minute clinic appointments or phone consults with a clinical pharmacist.
- Patients are scheduled for 15 – 30 minutes follow-up appointments to improve disease control and/or medication management.
Comprehensive Medication Review Services
- During the initial appointment, pharmacists will focus on patient’s medication concerns, confirm medication use, assess patient’s understanding of disease states and treatment plan, and identify potential barriers to treatment including drug cost.
- Within two weeks, a follow-up appointment will be scheduled to discuss new treatment plans to improve efficacy, safety and lower drug costs.
- Both initial and follow-up appointments can be conducted over the phone or at the clinic for a total of 75 – 90 minutes of direct patient care.
- If patient needs ongoing follow-up for diabetes, hypertension or hyperlipidemia, s/he will be enrolled in disease management services provided by PCMH pharmacists.